SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 20, 2014 - This Day In History
Forum Board: Everything Obama
You must be a member to post on the forums!
Page 1 of 2 pages.
<< < 1 2 > >>
Rate:
Rated
Author Rating: 0 Topic: Looking Forward, No Time for Bush Bashing (Read 1047 times)
jwilkes

View Profile Send Message
« Reply #0: Jan 22, 2009, 12:20 AM »
Rating: 0
Rate:
Rated

We get it- a lot of people (78% according to his last approval rating) don't like George W. Bush.  But now that he's gone, it's time to cease the Bush bashing and get on with the business of rebuilding America.  There is too much potential, too much possibility, too much hope, and most of all, too much work to do.

An interesting thing happened on the way to the stage for the inauguration of President Barack Obama. As is always the case, the man of the hour made his way to his seat only after dozens of others emerged before him. Among them was the man who- up until 11:59:59- was still President of the United States. And as George W. Bush reached the platform, a loud cacophony of jeers spread throughout the crowd.

It makes sense. According to a New York Times/CBS poll- the very last opinion poll to be conducted during the Bush era- the 43rd President of the United States is returning to private life with an approval rating of 22%. Only one other man has had an approval rating lower than that: Richard Nixon. And he was forced to head for the hills before the House delivered articles of impeachment that would have sent him packing anyway. It stands to reason that a few people in the crowd- well, 78% of them, statistically speaking- would have some ill will toward the guy.

Nonetheless, January 20th will go down as one of the most important days in American history. It won’t just be because the man who took the oath of office (or some semblance of it) was black- though that will certainly be an important factor. But decades from now, Americans will look back on the day Obama took office as the day government changed. Already, Obama has navigated his Administration away from the incredible lack of transparency of the last eight years, and toward a system of honest government. He’s reached across the aisle to put progress before partisanship, despite the fact that his predecessor was perhaps the most divisive figure this country has seen in a very long time. And if things continue to go as they appear to be now, by the time Obama leaves office, our nation’s capital will look like it’s not so much in the business of politics as public service.

Now is no time to slam George W. Bush. He’s gone. Doing so would mean living our lives in the rearview mirror at a time when progress is so important.

It’s not to excuse any shortcomings, missteps, or outright blunders of the Bush Administration. Barack Obama will spend the next four- and God willing, eight- years simply untangling the knot George W. Bush has made of our nation’s priorities. But the truth is that there is far too much work to be done to expend energy on negative retrospection.

If you listened to the inaugural address, you probably heard the President loud and clear, but let me reiterate a main point anyway: the problems facing our nation today are not ones that can be solved by government entirely. It’s going to take each of us doing our own parts- volunteering, being more environmentally conscious, donating to charities, spending our own money responsibly, taking an active role in our communities and the education of our children- to really get America back on track.

At this point in time, there is too much potential for the country to lead the world once again. There is too much possibility to revive segments of our society that have been ignored, but have hungered for the opportunity to be revitalized and reborn. There is too much hope for a better tomorrow. And most importantly, there is just too much work to do.

We get it- Bush was not a good president. But its time to thank him for his service (because let’s admit it, almost half of us agreed with him enough to give him the job in the first place, and almost 51% of us thought enough of him to give him four more years to do it), and move on.

Guest-Josh

« Reply #1: Jan 22, 2009, 8:08 AM »
Rate:
Rated

"But decades from now, Americans will look back on the day Obama took office as the day government changed."

He's been in office for 2 DAYS! Do you know something I don't know?

Guest-novenator

« Reply #2: Jan 22, 2009, 12:59 PM »
Rate:
Rated

If any positive change is going to happen in this country, we need to keep doing what we did during the campaign. Keep volunteering, keep speaking out, keep donating, and stay focused.

The entrenched powers will try to obstruct progress at every corner. We have to be smarter, stronger, and more organized.
Guest-Don

« Reply #3: Jan 22, 2009, 1:10 PM »
Rate:
Rated

Insisting that our government investigate and prosecute if a crime was committed is not Bush bashing. It is ensuring that all future Presidents and their administrations know that if they break the law they will be punished even if they run out the clock and someone else sits in the big chair. There is also no way Obama can open up Government if there are aspects that could be considered illegal. For him to succeed in being more open we must investigate past and current procedures.... but I guess thats just me?
KikiBird

« Reply #4: Jan 22, 2009, 2:22 PM »
Rate:
Rated

That's going to be the challenge. We didn't "win" anything if we don't do something great with this opportunity.
Guest-The Bard of Wilmette

« Reply #5: Jan 22, 2009, 2:39 PM »
Rate:
Rated

It is very tempting to put Mr. Bush (and maybe some other top officals in his administration) on trial for his violations of the law, but assuming that we want the Obama presidency to be a successful one, it is best to look forward and not backward. President Obama is very smart to take the approach that dwelling on the past would impair the effort to fix the problems he faces. Americans from across the political spectrum are rooting for Obama to succeed, and a major reason for that is that Obama has shown a lot of class in dealing with his predecessor and other political opponents. That fact will make it far more likely that Obama will be successful in achieving his policy goals.

The only real trial for Mr. Bush will be in the proverbial court of public opinion, and I expect the verdict to be a harsh one. That "trial" does not need, and should not get, any assistance from the Obama administration.
Guest-Cfahooligan

« Reply #6: Jan 22, 2009, 3:58 PM »
Rate:
Rated

and if all goes to plan with some possible punishments for war crimes, you haven't heard the last of the trash talking.
smgrant

« Reply #7: Jan 22, 2009, 8:32 PM »
Rate:
Rated

Bush is gone, we are greatful for that.  There were things in his administration (although none come to mind) that I'm sure will have made a positive mark in the history books.  Obama is one thing that Bush never was...Humble.  He proved that in his inaugural speech.  It may only be his first week in office, but his accomplishments thus far are more than any before.  He went in with a plan, not promises.  He has a vision, not a vengence. 

I have one fear as we approach the end of his first week of presidency.  That some African-American people will not be humbled by his office and will become arrogant.  That's not the purpose of his being the first African-American President.  Did he win because he's "black".  Maybe.  Not in my eyes.  He is our nation's leader, because of who he is as a person.  He ran a great campaign and had enormous help from his volunteers.  Unlike other campaigns in the past, it has not felt as if there was  hidden agenda by many.  I will have to admit that I've questioned his motives for becoming president all along to the point that I couldn't bring myself to vote for either of the runners. 

This was a move that I have some regret for.  But at the same time, I want to make a statement that I can stand behind.  At the time, I couldn't.  By not settling for either party, I felt that was a stronger vote.  This is going to bring criticism towards me, I know.  But know this, I knew that this was a landmark election and presidency regardless of who was taking the "big chair". 

And also know this, I thank God that he won to lead us in a way most would have cowered too.  Hopefully, that strength does not fade.

Guest-bewildered

« Reply #8: Jan 22, 2009, 8:48 PM »
Rate:
Rated

People really surprise me. Do you realize that President Obama is just a man, that said, he has very little political experience and now has the most important job in the world. Everyone carries on about the Iraq war but the Democrats voted in favor of going too. The President is a figure head of our government, so blaming one man for everything is just moronic. I am guessing that most of the Bush bashers have met him personally right? How do you hate someone you don't know. I am sick and tired of all the hatred, you are the one's who make America look bad. Many of our problems that exist now started well before the Bush Administration, so don't expect miracles from Obama, it will not happen. I am sure he will do the best he can, which is all we can expect from anyone. To our new President I wish you all of the luck and success in the world.
Godspeed. To all the people who hate so much, go do something good in your community.
Guest-

« Reply #9: Jan 22, 2009, 8:56 PM »
Rate:
Rated

well put.  If we spent as much time doing good for ourselves, our community, our nation as we did bashing other people alot more could be done to improve our well-being.

Guest-ThingOutTheBox

« Reply #10: Jan 23, 2009, 1:32 AM »
Rate:
Rated

don't want to help rebuild America while Bush was in office instead you wanted to talk shit and bash him every single day, now you want everybody to come together and sing Kumbaya huh? Remember what goes around comes around.
Guest-jackieblu

« Reply #11: Jan 23, 2009, 1:46 AM »
Rate:
Rated

Bush had eight years- six of those the republicans had complete control. Bush, and his partners in crime, and the 20% of supporters he still has must spend their time here on digg; have wasted no time trying to re-write history, and even shift the blame- from Bush to President Obama- after two days in office! In addition, the attacks on our President have been nasty, racist, twisted, and make bush-bashing look like childs play... Bush- bashing isn't just people being mean, and hateful, and the same as gay- bashing; this man not only destroyed our country by bringing it into a depression, invaded another country killing innocent men, woman, and children, not to mention all the brave military- America's best and brightest that we have lost, but many have come home with injuries that they- and their family's will have to deal with the rest of their lives. This depression is due to bush's de-regulating of everything- the banks made a KILLING, then shit hits the fan, and these same banks that were robbing people- get bailed out that's fucking insane! Well, we all no the sorted tail, however, this man killed people, had people tortured, and robbed hard working folks of the American dream... Then it's we haven't been attacked since 9/11 - which happened on poor W's watch, and if you don't count London, or France, or all the military, and other folks killed since then- I guess that's true. Wow, I'm impressed- no more bush - bashing...
Page 1 of 2 pages.
<< < 1 2 > >>
Rate:
Rated
Copyright © 2014 EyesOnObama.com. All Rights Reserved.
Home | About | Advertise | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Links | Feedback | Contact | RSS

FeedbackClose

Email Address:

Comments

Image Verification:
(Case Sensitive)

JoinClose

Username:
Password:
Retype Password:
Email:
Image Verification:
(case sensitive):